The plans and role of the ‘Opposition’ in the future of IranWritten by Jade in 26 June 00
23, 24, 25 June 2000
Haus der Kirche, Goethestr: 26-30, Berlin Germany
Association of Iranian Researchers would like to sincerely thank the Iranian community in Berlin, the speakers, and the spectators who travelled from other countries and towns in Germany to attend this conference. Following the conclusion of the speeches, ACI would like to confirm that:
The speakers of this three-day conference made up by of Iranian experts and scholars with opposing or differing views who all had active participation in this gathering:
- Hassan Nazih,
- Dr Siagzar Berelian,
- Dr Asghar Abdi,
- Dr Bahman Niroomand,
- Dr Jamshid Assadi,
- Parviz Dastmalchi,
- Dr Ali Reza Noorizadeh,
and the following political parties, groups and organisations
- Organisation of Revolutionary Workers of Iran – Rahe Kargar,
- The Union of People’s Fedaian of Iran,
- The Organisation of Iranian People’s Fedaian (Majority),
- The Provisional Council of the Iranian Left Socialist,
- The Democratic Party of Iranian Kurdistan,
- Workers Left Unity,
- Organisation of Fedaian (Minority),
- Worker Communist Party of Iran,
- Democratic People’s Party of Iran,
- The Constitutionalist Movement of Iran ‘Front line’,
- The Organisation of Iranian National Republican,
- National Movement of Iranian Resistance,
- Constitutionalist Party of Iran
- Hasteh Aghaliyat
With their opposing views, plans and reasons behind their programmes for the future of Iran, the speakers of this conference patiently debated and offered their viewpoints for today’s Iran and its future with unprecedented passion and respect for each other.
These Iranian political representatives outside the country all called for fundamental changes in Iran and offered their viewpoints with the unifying aim and the belief of a progressive and free society for Iran’s future.
In the opinion of most of the speakers and spectators alike, the mere fact of the tolerance exercised by the collective of varying views under one roof, respecting each other’s opinion and being open to criticism and discussion was one of the main achievements of this successful gathering.
Below is a brief summary of the various views and suggestions made:
- The possibility of ‘Reform’ within the present framework of the Islamic Republic.
- Acceptance of ‘Reform’ without any illusions concerning the factions within the rulership
- Acceptance of the changes happening due to the popular demands and fighting by the people and the belief in creating division within the System in favour of the popular movement.
- Acceptance of the changes happening due to the popular demands and fighting by the people and the belief that the ‘Second of Khordad Movement’ is nothing but a big deception for strengthening the System.
- The necessity for union amongst the freedom-seeking Iranians and the creation of a democratic alternative in opposition to “Velayat Faghih” for example drafting a secular and democratic constitution.
- The importance of internal presence and publicising viewpoints
- The fundamental change of rulership by the dissolution of the Islamic Republic through a referendum
- The belief for a complete overthrow of the System
- The belief in the inevitability of Revolution and that only a socialist revolution is beneficial for the society.
- The belief in Revolution and at the same time believing that people’s fight for ‘Reform’ is not in opposition with revolution but is a practical and clear step in this direction.
The speakers and representatives of political parties and groups at the same time offered their viewpoints concerning alternatives, the transference of power and replacement governments.
The conference took place in an atmosphere of complete tolerance and respect. This conference also demonstrated the true face of the freedom-seeking opposition outside Iran and showed that they are capable of sitting together to contemplate the future of their country.
The participants and representatives of the parties and groups attending the three-day conference requested that ACI continue organising future gatherings of this nature.
The broad-minded community of political Iranians in Berlin who magnanimously hosted this conference, without a doubt, played an important part in the success of this conference.
Association of Iranian Researchers would like to offer its sincere thanks and respect to all concerned.
Dr Mehdi Rosefid
Association of Iranian Researchers – Germany.