The EU must not ignore human rights violations in Iran for trade and short term financial gainWritten by Jade in 16 February 21
Dear Commission Vice President,
The EU must not ignore human rights violations in Iran for trade and short term financial gain
In the few weeks since our last open letter to you Sir the Islamic Republic has:
- Executed over twenty one Baloch minority prisoners among others including a female child offender;
- Four Arab minority prisoners at risk of imminent execution;
- Arrested over one hundred Kurdish civil and human rights activists;
- Published figures indicating that there has been a 23% increase in the registered marriages of 10-14 year old girls (16381 cases) in 2020/21;
- Prohibited the purchase and administration of COVID 19 vaccines developed and produced by the USA and the United Kingdom thus endangering the lives of Iranians and hindering the global fight against the Coronavirus pandemic;
- Had one of its diplomats convicted of state sponsored terrorist activities in Europe and another diplomat implicated in an assassination in Turkey;
- resumed enriching uranium to 20% purity at Fordo facility.
It is with grave concern that once again we note your name among the participants at the Europe Iran Business Forum in March 2021.
While we recognise and respect the rights and needs of enterprise and private business in Iran, more than any other group, they are aware of the stranglehold of the Sepah Pasdaran on Iran’s economy which is also riddled with cronyism, nepotism, institutionalised and systematic embezzlement and corruption. The Islamic Republic remains on FATF’s blacklist which it has refused to join because it would impact their money laundering activities and the ability to fund their state sponsored terrorist activities in the region and beyond.
If, as you have stated Sir, human rights matter we call on you once again that the EU must not ignore
human rights violations in Iran for trade and short term financial gain. The Islamic Republic is not the future of Iran.
Dr Hossein Ladjevardi
President – ACI
February 16, 2021